Jonathan Safran Foer, author of Eating Animals, is on a quest to find out where his food comes from. There are a lot of emotional reasons and tradition associated with eating meat in his background, including a grandmother who survived the Holocaust.
Foer attempts to represent multiple sides and views of animal agriculture. He visits with farmers that are more humane than the typical factory-farmed animal, yet realizes that these are not the conditions most animals are raised in, nor is it likely that anyone could try to consistently find these sources for their meat consumption due to them being such a small portion of animal agriculture. Included are essays from animal activists representing an animal rights view in juxtaposition to the farmers' welfare approach.
Foer's own ethics on animal agriculture are still forming. For example, he is not quite comfortable telling the slaughterhouse operator that he is vegetarian but is clearly uncomfortable with the process of killing an animal, even one killed at one of the most "humane" slaughterhouses in the country.
Vivid descriptions of slaughterhouses and horrific descriptions of animal cruelty are present in this book. Enough to make me want to vomit. But it needs to be told and we need to be reminded of this. For me, knowing that animals face this on a daily basis is humbling and helps me realize the problems I face are so minimal in comparison to fearing for your life and having no voice in your own survival.
To enter my giveaway:
1. Tell me why you would like to win a copy of Eating Animals.- 1 entry (leave 1 comment)
2. Follow this blog publicly via Google Friend Connect (or tell me if you already do)- 1 entry (leave 1 comment)
1. Fan Eating Animals on Facebook- 1 entry (leave 1 comment)
2. Follow me @kimmie_1980 on Twitter (or tell me if you already do) once per day - 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
3. Tweet the following tweet, once per day for 1 extra entry (1 comment) per tweet:
"Win a copy of Eating Animals, by national bestseller Jonathan Safran Foer from @kimmie_1980 http://tinyurl.com/27wrvjb (10/17) #giveaway"
4. Follow me on BlogFrog- 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
5. Follow me on NetworkedBlogs- 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
6. Subscribe to my feed through email- 5 extra entries (leave 5 comments)
7. Blog about this giveaway (please link back here, and leave the URL of where you blogged in your comment) - 10 extra entries (Comment 10 times to qualify for bonus)
8. Add My button to your blog, and let me know where it's located - 5 extra entries (Comment 5 times to qualify for bonus)
***Giveaway ends October 17 @ 11:59 ET!!!!
*** Make sure you leave the right amount of comments so you get the proper amount of entries. http://tinyurl.com/27wrvjb
If you would like to purchase the book:
Please read the following before entering:
* This giveaway is available to US/Canadian readers..
* You must leave your email address in each comment OR it should be on your profile in order to win.
* Winner will be selected at random through random.org.
I WILL RESPOND TO EACH COMMENT ONCE WINNER IS SELECTED... I HAVEN'T FORGOT ABOUT YOU ALL!
I received a copy of Eating Animals, in exchange for my honest opinion, and a review of my experience. I did not receive any other compensation or incentive nor was I required to write a positive review. Individual results or experiences may vary.