The opening section of the book is called “The Nervous Trinity,” a reference to fear, anxiety and stress. Are these three things so different from each other?
It’s true they are related, but they are still very different.
The simplest way to put it is that fear is a more physiological reaction to a danger right in front of you. You’re walking down the street, for example, and a tiger appears in your path. You immediately feel fear and either freeze or take flight. Anxiety can feel similar, but it’s a cognitive phenomenon. You’re worrying over things that could happen in the future—and even things that probably aren’t ever going to happen. Stress obviously has a life all its own. Everyone feels stress.
Description: Nerves make us bomb job interviews, first dates, and SATs. With a presentation looming at work, fear robs us of sleep for days. It paralyzes seasoned concert musicians and freezes rookie cops in tight situations. And yet not everyone cracks. Soldiers keep their heads in combat; firemen rush into burning buildings; unflappable trauma doctors juggle patient after patient. It’s not that these people feel no fear; often, in fact, they’re riddled with it.
In Nerve, Taylor Clark draws upon cutting-edge science and painstaking reporting to explore the very heart of panic and poise. Using a wide range of case studies, Clark overturns the popular myths about anxiety and fear to explain why some people thrive under pressure, while others falter-and how we can go forward with steadier nerves and increased confidence.
To enter my giveaway:
1. Follow my blog publicly via Google Friend Connect (or tell me if you already do)- 1 entry (leave 1 comment)
2. Vote for me on: We're on the Fence, TopMommyBlogs, and Ola Momma - 3 entries (leave 3 comments)
3. Follow the author on Facebook - 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
4. Follow me @kimmie_1980 on Twitter (or tell me if you already do) once per day - 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
5. Tweet the following tweet, once per day for 1 extra entry (1 comment) per tweet:
"Win a copy of Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool! @kimmie_1980 http://tinyurl.com/5u63j7m (04/10) #giveaway"
6. "Like" me on Facebook- 2 extra entries (leave 2 comments)
7. Follow me on BlogFrog- 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
8. Follow me on NetworkedBlogs- 1 extra entry (leave 1 comment)
9. Subscribe to my feed through email- 5 extra entries (leave 5 comments)
10. Blog about this giveaway (please link back here, and leave the URL of where you blogged in your comment) - 10 extra entries (Comment 10 times to qualify for bonus)
11. Add My button to your blog, and let me know where it's located - 5 extra entries (Comment 5 times to qualify for bonus)
***Giveaway ends April 10th @ 11:59 ET!!!!
*** Make sure you leave the right amount of comments so you get the proper amount of entries. http://tinyurl.com/5u63j7m
Please read the following before entering:
* This giveaway is available to US/CA readers.
* You must leave your email address in each comment OR it should be on your profile in order to win.
* Winner will be selected at random through random.org.
I WILL RESPOND TO EACH COMMENT ONCE WINNER IS SELECTED... I HAVEN'T FORGOT ABOUT YOU ALL!
I received a product, in exchange for my honest opinion, and a review of my experience. I did not receive any other compensation or incentive nor was I required to write a positive review. Individual results or experiences may vary.