There are few things more refreshing than a cold slice of watermelon on a hot day. But more than being just a hydrating treat, this seedy fruit boasts a host of other benefits for your health, including your sex life.
- Related to… Cantaloupe, squash and pumpkin and was first grown in Africa, hydrating many an Egyptian Pharaoh.
- Loaded with vitamin C… An antioxidant known to detoxify skin and stave off ageing, as well as diseases like diabetes and arthritis.
- Good for your eyes. Watermelon is a great source of beta-carotene, a nutrient that halts macro degeneration.
- May prevent cancer… Thanks to its high lycopene content (a carotenoid found in tomatoes that’s been shown to literally halt the disease in its tracks).
- A great pre- or post- workout snack. Because watermelon is almost all water (92%), essential sugars and B vitamins, nibbling on a triangle of this fruit will give you enough energy to engage in - or recover from – exercise.
- Good for your sex life. This seedy fruit contains citrulline, an amino acid which removes nitric acid from the bloodstream (a compound which may cause erectile dysfunction).
- Hard to pick out on store shelves. The best way to choose a full-of-flavor melon is to look for flesh that’s a deep pink color, absent of any white streaks. Seeds should be a rich, dark brown colour.
- Easily eaten. Enjoy in slices, roast and eat the seeds (as people do in Asia) or pickle, marinate or candy the rinds (a popular treat in South America).
- Great for sunburns… Simply slather the pulp on irritated skin to create a cooling, soothing pack.
Article originally published on Sweetspot.ca