Sunday, 27 July 2014
The failsafe DIY route to super-spotless legs (because it’s time for their summer debut!)
Spotless legs step #1: The DIY coffee-mint scrub
Coffee’s caffeine content boosts circulation while drawing out impurities and excessive liquids to firm up the skin; brown sugar is an excellent deep cleanser and exfoliator that lifts away dead and dry skin to reveal a fresh glow; peppermint oil boosts circulation and adds radiance to dull and ashy skin; and grape seed oil is a potent antioxidant and astringent, which makes it good at toning and tightening the skin, while refining the pores.
You will need
1/2 cup coffee grounds
1 tbsp brown sugar (or coarse white sugar)
2 oz grape seed oil
8-10 drops peppermint oil
1. Pour the coffee, sugar, peppermint oil and grape seed oil in a bowl; mix well.
2. Rub the mixture into your legs, thighs and buttocks using circular motions to exfoliate. I normally do this in the shower, right before switching on the water.
3. Scrub for 5-10 minutes, then rinse.
Spotless legs step #2: Papaya and pineapple leg mask
Both these fruits overflow with natural fruit enzymes (AHAs) that slow off dead, pigmented and scarred skin cells; honey is a natural humectant that moisturizes your skin; lemons have natural bleaching properties; while both aloe vera and cocoa butter are potent skin healers that also help fade any residual cuts and marks.
You will need
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 cup fresh papaya pieces
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp aloe vera gel or cocoa butter
1. Blend together the pineapple, papaya and honey until smooth; add the lemon juice and mix well.
2. Apply the mixture evenly over clean legs and thighs; leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse.
3. Massage in a thin layer of the aloe vera gel or cocoa butter over the freshly cleansed skin.
What are some of your secret tricks to making your legs look awesome?