Wednesday, 2 November 2016
Beauty DIY: How to make lotion bars (the perfect gift for yourself or someone else!)
Yes, simple but utterly scrumptious lotion bars that literally caress the skin to buttery smoothness and leave behind the most beautiful glow.
And you can so easily make them at home, customized to your own specific tastes. Plus, unlike the store-bought versions, there are no added chemicals, making them beyond perfect for your skin.
You will need
1 cup beeswax pellets
1 cup grated shea butter, kokum butter or cocoa butter
1 cup almond oil or extra virgin olive oil
25-30 drops essential oil of your choice
A collection of molds (empty Altoids tins are just the perfect size but cupcake molds, cookie cutters and yogurt containers work just as well)
How to make the lotion bar
1. Assuming you don’t have a double boiler (I don’t!) rig up your own by boiling water in a large pot and rest another pot over the same. I place a thin sieve over the large pot and place the small pot on top of the sieve.
2. Pour the beeswax into the small point and stir till it begins to melt.
3. Add the oil; continue stirring till the beeswax is completely melted.
4. Add the butter of your choice; stir till everything is melted then quickly remove from the heat.
5. Pour the mixture into the molds while it’s still of liquid consistency.
6. Add the essential oil (before it sets) and stir it in using something super-slim, like a knitting needle.
7. Leave the molds in a dry, cool place to set – this can take from a few hours to a day.
8. Once the mixture is set, pop it out of the mold.
9. Wrap in plain butter paper or baking pan liner paper. Or add some pretty bows and sparkles to make them look as pretty as they are functional.
And you are done!